Jonnyb815

What are your thoughts of this new game?

18 posts in this topic

I was just wondering what everyone thought of Imperial Assault. I love the Campaign and Skirmish mode.

so what are you first thoughts of this new game? Do you plan on playing Skirmish mode or the campaign?

Jonny

I've only played it twice, but so far I am loving it. I love how it feels a lot like an RPG battle. Should be pretty easy to build your own campaign.

It's too expensive for what it delivers.

Its one of the best games for the cost. You pretty much get a campaign and skirmish all in one. You get a lot for your money.

Some people over on FFG are calling it the best game for the cost.

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/130203-best-game-ever-or-at-least-best-spent-ever/

The Skirmish is layered because of the command cards, Deployment cards and Missions. Its really well balanced and one game will never be like the other because of the command cards, Deployment cards, Maps, Missions and dice.

I would try it out. Really for 75 dollars its a steal. The LCG cost what 80 since you needed two cores no one questioned that. X-wing cost what 30 then you needed at least a few extra ships so thats about the cost of the core. x-wing from what I know took a while to get a good meta.

Pretty much every single deployment card in IA is balanced enough for play. Even the Mercs are balanced just need a few more command cards and maybe one more wave to really see play. Every game I have played it has taken at least 1-2 sets to really see a balanced meta. IA has a good meta right out of the gate. Yes some are calling Vader OP but I dont think thats the case when all is said and done.

I dont play x-wing but from what I have seen you really need multi ships from each wave. Really in IA from what we have seen one of is just fine yeah two of is better for some stuff.

1 person likes this

Its one of the best games for the cost.

Says who? My only never-say-no game is Dog, can be had for less than $20 and offers endless fun. Not one of my favorite games of all times (X-Wing is too young for me to be on that list) costs more than €40. There are several very good games you can play with a deck of cards. RPGs which in my experience routinely offer better battles are often cheaper.

On the flip side, I was once into Jyhad and Netrunner, by far two of the three games I spend most money on (along with X-Wing). Both are now unplayble and unsellable and collect dust in some box in the attic.

I would try it out.

I would, I just wouldn't buy it to try it.

Really for 75 dollars its a steal.

So you don't expect me to buy any extensions, ever? Will I get my money back on four years, when FFG publishes a second edition and nobody wants to play the first edition anymore?

IA has a good meta right out of the gate.

I'm not sure what that means. I understand what meta is for X-Wing, with tournaments and whatnot, but why does every game need a meta like X-Wing?

I dont play x-wing but from what I have seen you really need multi ships from each wave. Really in IA from what we have seen one of is just fine yeah two of is better for some stuff.

So in IA you would be fine to buy a single extension from the whole wave? Glad to hear that!

The need to buy new ships is my biggest point of critique for X-Wing, and it will most likely be the reason why I give it up when that day comes.

I see it like this for the cost with IA yes you need to buy more than just the core for skirmish play. If cost is really a problem you could focus on just Imperials or Rebels and the campaign which you really dont need the ally/villain packs for. You could spilt the cost with a buddy. For me the odds of them coming out with more than two waves a year will be rare. SO really its less than 10 dolars a month. With how we run tournaments locally Ill get store credit each week if I win which will cover most of my costs. I did this with SWM and it was great.

Also You can use extra deployment cards since you can have four officers in a squad but the core only comes with two. so a second core is useful meaning going to league and getting the league cards will be very useful than just having a second image to look at like with SWLCG.

Last we love to play RPG as a group but coming up with the stories etc is a lot of work. So having something that is prebuilt and ready to go is great for us. You get that RPG feel but also that miniature combat feel too.

Like I said its two-games in one for me Its a boardgame. I said some people think its the best game for the cost and linked the source.

SO really its less than 10 dolars a month.

I'm talking about games that cost less than $20, all included, ever, not a single cent to add. Why would "10 dollars a month" convince me?

Last we love to play RPG as a group but coming up with the stories etc is a lot of work. So having something that is prebuilt and ready to go is great for us. You get that RPG feel but also that miniature combat feel too.

Granted, but RPG combat with a character you built up and love is so much more thrilling. No contest really, to any board game. Yes it takes way more work, that's why I think the comparison is pointless.

I said some people think its the best game for the cost and linked the source.

You linked to a forum post. I don't see a reason why I should take their opinions over yours.

not sure why your bringing up a 20 dollar game when IA costs way more than that.

Most board games cost around 40-50 dollars and need at least one or two expansions to reallly play over time settlers, Small world, Etc. That is where I would put this game but since its two games in one I am fine with the extra 25 dollars. Most of those other games are one time sessions unlike this game which has hours of play and really forces you to get others together. Risk legacy costs 40 dollars and is only good for 15 hours or so but its worth the cost and is a lot of fun with a group of people.

another view point is with  a X-box one game Lets say Madden 15 which is 47 dollars which is really only good for a year. This game is good for a lot longer than that.

As for the best game ever I was just giving you other peoples opions.

As for the RPG feel you still need to level your guys up just more limited which is fine by me. You still get rewards as a group. I just think it fits in with peoples needs. I do think to get the full power out of the game you will want to play the skirmish and campaign.

I think adding League kit cards and Good painted minis will just add to the resaling this game over time.

If you want the vassal mod should be up soon if you ever want to try it out and not go to your local game store. Also most of my local game stores open up games to add to their collection so you can play it in the store when ever it really gets people to buy the game and come in the store more.

Yoden - Too expensive for what it delivers is a very subjective statement. Too expensive for you is not necessarily too expensive for me (or Johnnyb815). And there is nothing wrong with that. However, it doesn't look like you two are ever going to see eye to eye on this. So its not worth continuing.

1 person likes this

not sure why your bringing up a 20 dollar game when IA costs way more than that.

Well, you brought up the question whether it's money well spent. I responded with games that cost a lot less for more fun. In fact, almost all my games are much cheaper, and don't require a de-facto subscription.

Will it be more fun? That is the question. If your favorite games are Descent-like SF-themed dungeon crawlers, than it's probably money well spent, but in general? It's too expensive for what it delivers.

since its two games in one I am fine with the extra 25 dollars.

Sorry, but I don't buy that. It's the same game with two different modes of playing it. If it was two games, FFG would've you let pay twice.

Risk legacy costs 40 dollars and is only good for 15 hours or so but its worth the cost and is a lot of fun with a group of people.

Don't get me started on Risk...

Yoden - Too expensive for what it delivers is a very subjective statement. Too expensive for you is not necessarily too expensive for me (or Johnnyb815). And there is nothing wrong with that.

Of course not. He asked what people think about the game, and I'm telling him what I think. What's wrong with that?

Edit: I noticed just now that this happening in the (ostensibly very new) Imperial assault section of the forum. I have no business here and will shut up now.

I am going to try this one more time. The game is not just for the Campaign. Its a Skirmish, Campaign, Great for the RPG(minis and boards), Also gets you into Painting for an extra hobby. The price point is a little higher than nornmal but for most people that play this game play other board games that are around 40-50 then 20-30 for the other boxes.

It seems you dont play alot of board games in the 40-50 price point so I can see your point. I just think the price point is about the same as an RPG and other board games in the long run. People in my group buy different games for us so not just one person is buying it all which helps too.

Again to get the best value out of the game I think you need to be into the Skirmish and Campaign, Painting and Campaign, RPG and Campaign etc.

It looks like the price of Imperial Assault will probably be comparable to X-Wing.

The Imperial Assault core set is more expensive, but you probably only need one.  Multiple core sets are almost a necessity for X-Wing.

The expansions for both games are comparable in price.  A lot of people buy enough of each X-Wing expansion to field a 100-point squad of each ship type, and sometimes more than that, but there seems to be no need to get more than one of the special character expansions for Imperial Assault, so the only expansions that people may want multiples of are the generic packs.

I kind of want to get into Imperial Assault, but I also want to get into Armada and the roleplaying game, and I already spend plenty of money on X-Wing products.  The problem may be that my wallet can't handle firepower of that magnitude.

3 people like this

To those of you who have actually played this game,...how significant of a difference is this game by Fantasy Flight Games over its predecessor "Star Wars Miniatures" by Wizards of the Coast?

It is actually a solidly improved game or is it just a re-licensed 'rehash' so that someone can squeeze some more $$$ out of the injection molds?

To those of you who have actually played this game,...how significant of a difference is this game by Fantasy Flight Games over its predecessor "Star Wars Miniatures" by Wizards of the Coast?

It is actually a solidly improved game or is it just a re-licensed 'rehash' so that someone can squeeze some more $$$ out of the injection molds?

I've played and thoroughly enjoy SWM, but only briefly saw IA played. However, from what I gathered, they are not incredibly similar, IA being compared much more often to Descent and the like, and even that fanbase rarely considers it any kind of ripoff.

With what SWM stuff goes for being OOP, I feel like IA=better option if only by default.

Also, there's no milking for money going on beyond it also being a star wars game. SWM is a totally different scale.

This game is amazing. So much fun. It is SW in a box. One of the greatest single purchases I have made ever. Looking forward to start of organized play.

1 person likes this

Love it - if the game was crap I would still love it for the miniatures and terrain tiles. But the game - especially the skirmish mode is pretty awesome too.

Can i necro this thread? I just bought IA and have to chip in my two cents.

It looks like the price of Imperial Assault will probably be comparable to X-Wing.

The Imperial Assault core set is more expensive, but you probably only need one.  Multiple core sets are almost a necessity for X-Wing.

The expansions for both games are comparable in price.  A lot of people buy enough of each X-Wing expansion to field a 100-point squad of each ship type, and sometimes more than that, but there seems to be no need to get more than one of the special character expansions for Imperial Assault, so the only expansions that people may want multiples of are the generic packs.

I kind of want to get into Imperial Assault, but I also want to get into Armada and the roleplaying game, and I already spend plenty of money on X-Wing products.  The problem may be that my wallet can't handle firepower of that magnitude.

This is a big delema for me. I'm certainly not "caught up" with x-wing, and armada feels like a must for me, as I'm more of a larger scale sort of guy. So buying IA seems like a step in the wrong direction for me...but i bought it anyway. From what i had gleaned from research before i bought it, It has some strong RPG elements, but is intuative enough to introduce to Catan players with out much trouble. Thats the theory that made me buy it, and i was not wrong.

I would really like to get into The SW RPG, but it all depends on who is available to play. With the freinds i play with, getting into an RPG could possibly happen, but probably only once. But some of them play x-wing, and most of them like "board games" in general. So I got Imperial assault and we played the tutorial mission...twice. 

I have to say that i can't stop thinking about this game and the possibilities. The RPG elements are really strong, and I am really excited to play through the campaign. Whats even better, is i know i can introduce this to anyone with even the slightest appreciation for Star Wars, and they only have to be familiar with the most basic of board games to get it, and they would most likely want to keep playing.

I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys RPG's, but may not be able to get anyone to dive into one, this is an excellent bridge with a good story line, and once you play once or twice, you can setup, introduce, and play a game in less than an hour. Also, the replay value is very high, I would consider it worth it. The best thing to get an idea is to read the "learn to play" guide or watch a video of one of the gencon(is that the right con?) demos.

Anyway...i couldn't keep quiet, so there it is. I'm excited to start working on a custom Campaign once I'm done with the included one.

2 people like this