Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ziggy2000

Action: Reaction: order during engagements

11 posts in this topic

The other night my spouse and I were playing and the following situation occurred. I think we played it right but wanted to confirm.

I am engaging one of her objectives with my Red Five, unopposed. Red Five focuses to strike and does 3 blast damage.

Now, I want to play my Double Strike (Reaction: After a Character unit is focused to strike, remove 1 focus token from that unit) and she wants to play Force Lightning (Action: Destroy a target exhausted unit). Who gets to go first?

The way we played it is this: since I was the Active Player, my Reaction went off first, and removed the focus token. She cannot play the Force Lightning on Red Five because it is not Exhausted. Since there are no opposing units, Red Five focuses again and does 3 more blast damage, destroying the target objective. NOW she can play Force lightning, and destroy my Red Five. Did we play this correctly, and why?

I looked through the rulebook before we resolved this, and found wording specific to Actions (page 24), and Reactions (page 25), but nothing about an Action versus a Reaction. Since both the rulings referenced above stated that the active player gets to resolve first, that was the basis for how we ultimately played it. I guess I'm just wondering if there is some more intricate timing issue that would cause it to resolve differently. Do Reactions have to happen in an Action Window (like her Force Lightning action would) or do they happen in their own "window" that immediately happens when the triggering condition is met?

Thanks for reading.

You resolved that correctly. Actions, like Force Lightning have to be played when the timing chart in the back indicates "Player Actions". Reactions are played when they specify. So you would play Double Strike before your opponent has the option to play any actions.

ShadowJak is right! Double Strike only works on Characters. Red 5 is a vehicle, not a character.

I have no idea what the rules of this game are, but isn't he saying that he was playing Double Strike against his wife's unnamed objective while she was playing Force Lightning against his Red 5?

I have no idea what the rules of this game are, but isn't he saying that he was playing Double Strike against his wife's unnamed objective while she was playing Force Lightning against his Red 5?

No, Double Strike is a card that allows a Character unit to strike twice in an engagement. Red 5 isn't a character.

For the sake of argument, lets say Double Strike does work on Red 5. The active player gets to take player actions first and there is no stack so he would be able to play the card to remove the token before his wife has a chance to destroy Red 5 with Force Lightning.

No, Double Strike is a card that allows a Character unit to strike twice in an engagement. Red 5 isn't a character.

For the sake of argument, lets say Double Strike does work on Red 5. The active player gets to take player actions first and there is no stack so he would be able to play the card to remove the token before his wife has a chance to destroy Red 5 with Force Lightning.

You are right, but he does not get to strike again before she gets an action. Red 5 would be dead first. I think that we need to think about this in the order that an engagement is resolved. First he resolves his strike. Then he can play Double Strike to remove the focus token. Then the strike is over. After the first strike ends, there is a Player Action window. She can then play Force Lightning to destroy Red 5. Just because you remove the Focus token does not mean Red 5 can strike again before his wife can take an action.

My bad, I was confused when you guys said "doesn't work on Red 5." I took this to mean "doesn't work against Red 5."

You are right, but he does not get to strike again before she gets an action. Red 5 would be dead first. I think that we need to think about this in the order that an engagement is resolved. First he resolves his strike. Then he can play Double Strike to remove the focus token. Then the strike is over. After the first strike ends, there is a Player Action window. She can then play Force Lightning to destroy Red 5. Just because you remove the Focus token does not mean Red 5 can strike again before his wife can take an action.

Force Lightning can only use used on Exhausted units.

What I said about player actions was slightly inaccurate because I didn't realize Double Strike was a reaction. This reaction would happen before the Player Actions window opens. Even if Double Strike were an action, "the active player may always take the first action, followed by his opponent" (pg. 30). As the attacker, he is the active player and can remove the focus token with Double Strike before his wife can use Force Lighting.

Somehow I knew I would miss something. LOL

Somehow I knew I would miss something. LOL

Really, folks, I think I'M the one who REALLY missed something... :oops:

Lots of egg on face, there...